Agricultural Innovation and Sustainability
A Message from Hugh Grant:
Our mission is simple: Provide tools for farmers to help nourish the growing global population and help preserve the Earth for people, plants, wildlife and communities.
In the face of a difficult year in the agriculture business and significant economic headwinds for our company, we advanced our commitment to sustainability, collaborating with farmers, researchers, nonprofit organizations, universities, NGOs, and other businesses.
In 2016, we entered into an agreement to be acquired by Bayer, a company I believe shares our understanding of the world’s sustainability challenges and agriculture’s unique position to help address them.
We are committed to reporting in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative and supporting the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. We remain committed to the 10 Principles of the United Nations Global Compact, filing our Communication on Progress and taking affirmative actions to address these critical areas. I take great pride in the progress we made in 2016 and invite you to learn more by reviewing our 2016 Sustainability Report: Growing Better Together and related website content.
Chairman of the Board of Directors and Chief Executive Officer
Mosanto's Approach to Sustainability
- Act Ethically and Responsibly
- Advocate for Biodiversity
- Advance Product Stewardship
- Create a Great Work Environment
- Drive Modern Agricultural Innovation
- Engage Communities and Society
- Foster Collaboration and Transparency
- Improve Global Food and Nutrition Security
- Reduce Our Environmental Impact
Mapping to the Sustainable Development Goals:
Adopted in September 2015 after years of multi-stakeholder engagement, the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) comprise 17 goals and 169 associated targets that address the world’s most pressing economic, social, and environmental challenges.
The private sector plays an important role in achieving the SDGs and our work contributes in some way to each of the 17 Goals. We have identified six goals (SDGs 1, 2, 6, 8, 13, and 15) that are particularly relevant to our business, as well as three additional goals (SDGs 9, 12, and 17) that are of significant importance to how we work. As we continue strengthening our commitment to modern, sustainable agriculture, we will look to these SDGs in particular to inform our strategy and actions.
Key Sustainability Goals:
Food Security: Improve Harvests
- Carbon Neutrality
- Resource Conservation
- Greenhouse Gas Intensity
- Nutrient Efficiency
Irrigation Water Application Efficiency
- Monarch Habitat
- Honey Bee Health
- 2016 Sustainability Report
- 2016 Sustainability Report Executive Summary
- 2016 Sustainability Highlights Graphic
- 2015 Sustainability Report
- 2014 Sustainability Report
- 2013 - Fall Report
- 2013 - Spring Report
- 2012 Report
2016 Recognition Examples
- 2016 Newsweek Green Rankings
- Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index
- World's Most Admired Companies
- Environmental Management Guidelines